The Mindful Dietitian Interview Series with Marsha Mudnall
Marsha Hudnall, RD, Director of Green Mountain at Fox Run and President of The Center for Mindful Eating is uniequivocally regarded as one of the most prominent leaders of our time in Eating Disorder treatment and body healing. Marsha has spent her career dedicated to providing high quality care and treatment to women who struggle in their relationships with food, eating and their body. It's very clear from our conversation how passionate Marsha feels about supporting women to move away from diets and towards a place of peace and ease in their bodies, and is a generous and authentic supporter of fellow Dietitians....
Here Marsha shares:
- How her own healing proved pivotal in her understanding of the experiences of others.
- What we can learn from "missteps" with clients and how to embrace our own imperfection!
- How perfectionistic tendencies (within us, and our clients) get in the way of healing and leave no room for the "middle ground"
- The amazing story of Green Mountain at Fox Run and visionary RD Thelma Wayler, one of the first Non Diet Dietitians!! And the gorgeous story of how Marsha ended up at Green Mountain (don't miss it!!)
- The underlying philosophy of Green Mountain - Health At Every Size and Mindful Eating/Concious Eating and how the program brings messages of body and food peace to women
- The building of the Non Diet community
- The most common misunderstandings of Health At Every Size
- Bringing mindfulness into your life, and practice
- How we take best care of ourselves using mindful awareness in food choices
- Adapting Mindful Eating for health or medical conditions - yes, it's possible!
- Marsha's thought on Mindful Eating & weight loss, and the dilemmas we face as Dietitians
- How neuroscience can help reduce blame and increase self compassion
A registered dietitian nutritionist, Marsha has been a voice of reason and a thought leader for the last three decades in helping women move away from restrictive notions of food and health so that they can better adopt a sustainable approach to eating well.
She has spent her career working to help women give up dieting rules and understand how to truly take care of themselves through mindful eating and living. Her mission is to help women learn to enjoy eating without worries about health and weight. She encourages women to embrace their love of food, which you might call being a foodie. If so, it’s appropriate because being a foodie means you pay attention when you eat -- a recipe made in heaven for eating well.
Since 1986, Marsha has been a part of Green Mountain at Fox Run, the Vermont women's retreat that pioneered the non-diet approach to health and healthy weights. An accomplished writer, she has written hundreds of articles for popular magazines, newsletters and professional journals, and has worked extensively on a national basis to produce curricula and pamphlets to educate the public about nutrition and about the impact of dieting and the diet mentality on eating behaviors, including binge eating and emotional eating.
Long active with several national professional associations, Marsha recently stepped down from the board of the Binge Eating Disorder Association in order to serve as the president of The Center for Mindful Eating.
You can find Marsha on Green Mountain’s website which features her writing on the blog A Weight Lifted. You can also reach her on Twitter @MarshaHudnall and on Green Mountain at Fox Run’s Facebook page, or email her at Marsha@fitwoman.com.