Lindsay Stenovec on supporting expecting and new mothers to push back on diet culture, connect with their bodies during some of the most vulnerable times and fostering a culture of connection and support.
Introducing the wonderful and passionate Lindsay Stenovec MS, RD, CEDRD, CLEC of Sunny San Diego, This is a very special interview as Lindsay joins us today 39 weeks pregnant!
(postscript - little James was born a week after we recorded, welcome to the world, little man!)
As we are aware, there are times when women in particular are more vulnerable to falling prey to diet culture messages and arguably, one of the most troubling times is around pregnancy, and parenting. We want to acknowledge that there are many ways to be a parent, including not have the experience of pregnancy, and here Lindsay speaks so compassionately about the variety of experiences which can influence the way we see our bodies during this important time of life.
Lindsay also shares:
- More about her specialised/unique area of work; supporting and empowering pregnant women and mothers.
- How the motherhood experience impacts body image and food choices.
- Her personal struggles during pregnancy; noticing the gap in the peri-natal community and recognising the need/opportunity to bridge it.
- ‘Taking your experiences with you’; how Lindsay’s work experiences and opportunities impacted her direction and lead her to this specialised work.
- Healing; the importance of client validation, self-care and knowing they are not alone.
- The birth of The Nurtured Mama and community
- How dietitians and eating disorder specialists can support their clients in navigating pregnancy, planning and motherhood;
- Supporting client to become self-advocates and find the right provider
- Developing a post-partum plan
- Support in navigating through the messengers
- Impact of mindfulness
- Connecting, referring your clients for community support and top podcast recommendations!