Leslie Schilling on the pervasive culture of under-fuelling in sports and performance & raising kids who can call out diet culture!
Here, Fi & Leslie talk about:
- Life, work and play in Las Vegas – keep up with Leslie’s weekend adventures on Instagram; “there is so much to do in Vegas off the strip!”
- What it’s like working with athletes, performers and artists in Las Vegas, particularly the performers from Cirque du Soleil!
- How Leslie supports her culturally diverse clients to adapt to life in the US and navigate diet culture through their interesting and demanding schedules.
- The culture and promotion of under fuelling in sports.
- How to help clients push back against under fuelling and the response from clients when they are given permission to eat.
- Tips on how to screen for under fuelling and restriction when working with athletes / performers – find out the important questions to ask!
- Interoceptive and somatic awareness, encouraging nutrition intuition and finding a common ground with coaches.
- How under fuelling can become an entrenched behaviour unintentionally and innocently, not just through disordered eating
- The culture that keeps us underfeed and what the salmon would do? (hint* swim upstream and dodge the diet culture BS!)
- The famous Lunch Box Card inspired by Dr. Katja Rowell and The Responsive Feeding Therapy Conference to take place in May 2020.
As mentioned in the podcast:
More about Leslie:
Leslie Schilling, MA, RDN, CEDRD-S owns a Las Vegas-based coaching practice, specializing in nutrition counseling for families, those of all ages with disordered eating concerns, and professional athletes and performers. In addition to running her practice, Leslie serves as a performance nutrition consultant for Cirque du Soleil® and an eating disorder specialist and supervisory consultant for eating disorder treatment centers in Nevada. With her warm, compassionate, and entertaining personality, Leslie been featured in media outlets like Women’s Health, Self, Pregnancy Magazine, The Yoga Journal, Bicycling, BuzzFeed, the Huffington Post, US News & World Report, and on HGTV. When she’s not spending time with her family, you can find her spreading non-diet messages to her clients and speaking platforms across the nation. Leslie is passionate about educating ministry, military, health, medical, and fitness professionals about the harms of typical dieting behaviors. You may know Leslie best as the creator of the Born To Eat® approach and co-author of the award-winning book, Born To Eat.
Connect with Leslie