Tom Scully on navigating masculinity norms & gender narratives in dietetics and more deeply understanding cultural competence.
Here Tom and Fi discuss:
- Relocating to Geelong from Melbourne
- His journey to dietetics, finding the non-diet/HAES approach and starting a private practice.
- Working with men in fertility health; the importance of reducing shame and holding a safe space for sharing.
- Navigating masculinity norms with clients.
- Narratives and gender in dietetics.
- What our profession understands about cultural competence, what it doesn’t and how we can improve.
- What’s holding us back as dietitians/professionals in this space?
- How dietetic education could be improved overall and how we can set up conversations with students.
- How we can begin to speak out more and push back.